Friday, September 30, 2011

Before and After: Dresser (and a Halloween craft sneak peak)

Several weeks ago I got an early start hitting some yard sales and happened upon a couple who were just putting things out into the driveway. Not wanting to be a rude "early bird" I asked if they were ready for shoppers yet and they said sure. I spotted this big beauty right away.

Can you believe they only wanted $10 for it?? This sucker is SOLID maple and heavier than you would believe. One of the handles was missing, but I didn't care. Last week I finally settled on what I wanted to do with this piece and got to work.

I found a set of similar handles in my stash that (miraculously) fit the existing holes, but the finish was kinda ugly. They got primed and sprayed with an oil-rubbed bronze paint to update them. (Sorry, forgot to take an 'after' photo of that part.)

The body of the dresser was painted in the same duck-egg blue as this dresser and the top got refinished with some antique walnut polystain.



I know not everyone is a fan of the heavily distressed look, but sometimes I think it adds character to an otherwise plain piece like this one. I was so tempted to swap this dresser out for the one in my daughter's room because it's way bigger, but decided I probably ought to just sell it like I'd originally planned. *sigh

And finally, I was in a dollar store yesterday and spotted some cool Halloween decorations that were screaming to be turned into something even cooler. Here's a peak at what I'm doing with those.
Any guesses what they'll end up being?? (No telling Lisa- you already know! :) Can't wait to show you!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am a little stumped but looking forward to it.
Consider linking your great ideas and post here.

http://athriftymom.com/2011/09/927-share-your-diy-recipe-esty-page-or-creative-blog-post-look-what-i-made/

Another great way to showcase your fabatabulus ideas.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Fantastic! I love the colour :)